Friday, March 27, 2015

Tiger Hill Pagoda (Cat Heaven), Canal Boat Tour, Silk, and AMD

Wednesday, March 11, 2015:
            Tiger Hill Pagoda is my favorite part of the trip so far!  Seeing the park, the stones, the trees, and the water reassured me that what I expected of China environmentally was applicable somewhere.  After seeing all of the skyscrapers and not much green in Beijing, Suzhou was completely refreshing.  I could spend an entire day exploring that place, especially since there was an adorable cat there.  On a more serious note, it was interesting to see a foundation built in the 1600s with a half soil and half rock foundation.  I am impressed that it is still standing, but the area is gorgeous.  The canal tour afterwards even further explained why Suzhou is known as “the Venice of China.”  I saw real houses for the first time and people doing their laundry outside.  I also saw a poor part of China and a few homeless people.  I could tell that I was seeing a real, genuine part of China due to seeing how both the rich and poor lived as well as the new and old parts of the city.  I feel like in Beijing, since the city is so developed, it is harder to see what the majority of the locals live like.  I could honestly see myself living in Suzhou.
            The Silk Factory tour was cool because we got to learn how silk worms produce the soft material people like to wear, feel, and even just look at.  Apparently there used to be a room full of live worms eating mulberry leaves and spinning cocoons but they were replaced by models in 2009.  I wanted to buy a silk scarf, but they were expensive and I figured I would have another chance to buy a cheaper one.  I saw more cats while eating KFC and loved Suzhou even more!  The KFC was pretty much the same tasting as American KFC except for the sauce that was on my sandwich.  I tasted Sijia’s spicy chicken sandwich and tasted no difference besides the softer, unprocessed meat.  The egg tart, however, was completely new to me!  I have been slowly noticing that the kind of sweet flavor Chinese people enjoy is different from the sugary, chocolate sweetness that is promoted in America.
            The AMD visit was informative.  We got to tour their quality and analysis centers, but I felt the Q&A at the end was the most educational part.  I found it useful to hear about the financial stresses the company has, because it reminds me that business is a constant struggle and it is important for employees to know how to work their way out of tough situations.  The man also talked about how AMD chose Suzhou as a location because of issues with turnover as well as how difficult the market is becoming.  When the VP talked about how convenient and smart it is for start-ups to happen in China, he really grabbed my attention.  He explained how the market was larger and how the government helps start-ups unlike the United States government, and if I ever have a brilliant idea I will definitely keep China open as a location.
            After we returned to the hotel I had the chance to explore the little street market area a few blocks away, and I watched Amy and Peiyu eat chicken foot, which was gross! I myself got spring rolls and chocolate milk tea.  I loved the chocolate milk tea so much—I hope I can find it somewhere else!  It tasted like chocolate milk, but it also had a soothing effect that tea tends to have.  It was handmade on the spot when Hewen ordered it for me and I am worried that I will never taste something so homemade and perfect again.  We also had karaoke tonight, which was a blast.  The KTV building was ginormous; there were probably hundreds of rooms!  I wonder why the place is so big.  Is karaoke such a huge deal in Suzhou or all of China, and why?


















































































No comments:

Post a Comment