Friday, March 27, 2015

PPG, Bullet Train, Suzhou

Tuesday, March 10, 2015:
            Today we visited PPG and we are taking the bullet train to Suzhou!  Because I used to co-op at a chemical plant, I was highly impressed with PPG.  It was extremely clean—way cleaner than the couple of plants I have seen.  That may, however, be simply due to the type of chemicals created there.  I liked how they had a volunteer program and were focusing on greener products.  I would expect any high-end company in China to be concerned about pollution and their environmental influence, and PPG did not disappoint.  I read in their magazine that in the UK they are working on animal and plant protein to use as raw materials for their sustainable coatings, and when I asked one of the workers he said that so far that have had success.  It was also interesting to hear about the labor cost problems, which is suspected to be related to automation implementation.  I admire how this Pittsburgh company has expanded and functions so well in a different country.
            Boarding the high speed train was stressful, but we are on here now and the seats turn to face each other! We are all having a blast!  The only time you can feel how fast the train is going is when we pass another train.  I cannot believe how safe and efficient this transportation is, and I wish America adopted this kind of transportation technology.  I wonder if our technology has just not reached the level to have such a high-speed train that is safe.  It has definitely help China become more globalized, especially since they are the only country able to perfect this kind of technology.  I cannot wait to see Suzhou!
            Update: Suzhou is amazing.  Our hotel is beyond amazing, and pretty entertaining; the bathroom setup was hilarious, but I do not suspect that being able to see the shower from the outside is custom here.  I do have to say that I was disappointed with part of the night life.  Let me explain—we went to a nightclub right by our hotel called Liv, and I know this is not technically academic, but I would like to mention the experience.  The clubs here want foreigners in their club as an attraction, but when we got there they seated us, tried to charge us for light up candy we did not want among other mishaps, and when the manager came to complain he was using a translator to communicate.  I guess that works, but wouldn’t you want at least one person in your club who speaks English if the club is so set on having English-speaking customers?  Communication is key in any business, even the nightlife business!  The other club next door was much better and some of the workers spoke English.  I suggest that Liv hires an English-speaking employee to help with the lack of proper communication.















No comments:

Post a Comment