Friday, March 27, 2015

Last Full Day :(

Saturday, March 14, 2015:
            Today we went on a river cruise!  We got to see the Bund during the day on the river, but it was much less exciting than the night view.  This is mostly because of the pollution and smog, and also it was a rainy day.  Overall, it felt like a familiar city more so during the day.  I know the US has cities with lights at night, but I can confidently say I have never seen such a colorful and vibrant city like Shanghai.  So during the day, it felt more like what I am used to.  The dumpling house was by far the best food we have had, and I hope I can find a soup dumpling restaurant in the states when I return!
            Yu Gardens was completely a surprise!  Since I read up on what it was and how it is a national monument, I expected a park like Tiger Hill.  However, it was littered with vendors almost like the Silk Market, but in a giant outdoor garden tourist attraction.  My haggling experience was not as good here, but I got the rest of the souvenirs I needed.
            When we got back to the hotel, I went to explore and check out the church closest to our hotel.  It was St. Ignatius Cathedral, and it was beautiful.  However, I expected it to be bigger, and I am wondering if the reason it is so small is because the government is not a big fan of Catholicism.  The only reason I expected it to be bigger was because online claimed it was the “Vatican of China,” so of course I had such high expectations, but we went in during a mass and stayed for a little bit to see what the mass was like.  The inside was beautiful, as well.  I am really glad I had the opportunity to see a Catholic Church and mass in Shanghai!
            The acrobatic show was outstanding.  They stood on bikes, balanced bowls on the foreheads, did teeter-totter tricks, twirling ceiling dances, and of course 7 motorcycles in a cage.  It was hard for me to watch because I was nervous for the performers!  They only messed up a few times, though.  I tried to justify what they were doing with physics, but honestly it was probably just magic.  My last full day in Shanghai was amazing, and I am not ready to leave.


































No comments:

Post a Comment