Friday, March 27, 2015

Celebrity Feels in the Forbidden City, Serious Haggling, and Dancing Boys Dinner

Sunday, March 7, 2015:
            Today I learned what it was like to be a celebrity and a zoo animal at the same time.  The Forbidden City was quite the experience, and the first time I recognized the communism in the country.  Everyone was taking pictures with the Mao portrait, and when we walked into the tourist area as a group everyone stared and took pictures with and of us.  You could see in the people’s faces how excited they were to be in the Forbidden City because of the nationalism associated.  The Chinese are very proud of their country and their leaders and watching them worship Mao in different ways is a perfect example of their pride.  The place itself was gigantic—truly its own city.  Reading about the buildings and their different purposes was interesting, but the garden was my favorite part.  I liked how that beautiful part was for the empress.  The husband and wife tree was my favorite part just because of its romanticism.  To me, the Forbidden City represents the transition from empires and dynasties to more modern ways to rule.  The public now has access to the site, and at the same time the leaders are no longer seen as gods.  China is transforming into a modern culture, but while retaining the respect of the past.
            The Art Zone was different in the sense that it was more free and westernized.  Instead of being an example of change with remaining nationalism, it demonstrates the free spirits of the new era.  The art shops and cafes were familiar to me because of their western feel.  The only unfamiliar aspect was the squat toilets, which I refuse to get used to.  I asked Sijia about them and she said that most houses have western toilets, so I am hoping eventually China will entirely switch over.
            The Silk Market was a fascinating experience.  I have been to China town in New York before and my mom is experienced with haggling, but I was still not prepared for what I encountered.  It was much harder for me to get the lower price I desired simply because I was American.  I know for a fact that if I would have had a native with me, I would have gotten a much better deal.  The people at the Silk Market like to take advantage of the Americans and that was frustrating for me.  I advanced my bargaining skills and wish we would have had more time there.  I bought a Louis Vuitton purse for my mom (300 RMB), baby slippers for my sister’s baby (30 RMB), and an ox-bone dagger for my boyfriend (120 RMB).  Overall I could have gone lower on the baby slippers, but it took me forever to get the prices down for the dagger and the purse.  I want to back and bargain harder, or at least go somewhere in the US where haggling is allowed.

            Lastly, we had dinner at the Red Rose.  What an experience!  Not only did I see my second China cat, but I also got to watch Trenton, Nir, and Corey make dancing fools out of themselves, which was extremely entertaining.  The food was pretty good there, too.  Tomorrow is our first company visit, and I am excited to mix what I have learned culturally with the business techniques here.



























No comments:

Post a Comment